This bird was admitted to Teton Raptor Center after being hit by a car and was found sitting on the side of the road. After doing some tests, it was determined that her blood lead level was very elevated. To treat a bird for lead toxicity they are started on medication that binds to the lead in the blood and removes it from the birds system. This treatment, known as chelation is so rigorous and taxing on the patients that many compare this treatment to that of chemotherapy in humans.
Update: This bird has finished her chelation treatment and has been moved out of and ICU enclosure and into a larger mew. She has slowly started to be able to eat on her own instead of being hand fed by a staff member. So far, we are waiting to ensure that her blood lead level doesn't spike back up so that she can be released back out into the wild. (1/29/2018)
Date Admitted: 1-17-18
Location Found: Swan Valley, IDDonate Now!