Open: 2019 TRC Internship
Owly, TRC's Resident Great Horned Owl
Dates: December – April 2019 (Start Date Flexible)
Application Due: October 24th, 2018
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Teton Raptor Center is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing raptor conservation through education, research, and rehabilitation. We are located at the historic Moseley/Hardeman Ranch in Wilson, Wyoming.
The TRC Winter/Spring 2019 Internship is an opportunity to support the work of a vibrant and growing conservation organization, while living at the historic Moseley/Hardeman Ranch in Wilson, Wyoming, which is home to Teton Raptor Center (TRC). This holistic experience includes exposure to all program areas at TRC including education, research, rehabilitation, and the general operations. We are looking for someone who is flexible, creative, enthusiastic, and ready to roll up his or her sleeves to work hard to deepen the work of raptor conservation as part of a passionate team. This internship experience is multifaceted and will provide training, mentorship and opportunities in the following areas:
Raptor Care (Rehabilitation and Education)- 40%
- Daily care/cleaning/handling of rehab patients and resident raptors
- Assisting volunteers through daily tasks and checklists
- Food preparation and feeding
- Medication administration/ongoing patient evaluation
- After-hour med administration and patient triage
Poo-Poo Project- 10%
- Assist with logistics, outreach, sales, and distribution of TRC’s premiere international conservation product.
- Calendar management
- Rehab Database (WRMD)
- Photo library
- Phone and raptor hotline support
- Raptor Rescue Network coordination
- Social Media
- Develop social media content for various digital platforms
- Develop content in including blog posts and rehab updates
- Format photos/webpages
- Media and Constituent Outreach
- Create content for rich, fun, informative regular constituent communications – digital and print
- General maintenance of buildings and grounds on historic property
Other Duties as Assigned- 5%
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
Teton Raptor Center is seeking applicants with the following qualifications and skills:
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, including excellent writing skills
- Familiarity with video and online media platforms
- A love of nature and desire to share that passion with others
- Knowledge of science, natural history and birds of prey (a strong interest in wildlife, enthusiasm, strong work ethic, maturity and willingness to learn are more important than academic qualifications)
- Willingness to take initiative, roll-up your sleeves, problem solve and multi-task effectively and with humor while working with a small group of very committed people
- Ability to tolerate time spent in front of a computer, as well as physical labor
- Good health and fitness, ability to perform physically demanding tasks such as cleaning and lifting (up to 40 lbs.) and work outdoors in all sorts of weather
- In college or recently graduated and at least 21 years of age
- Commitment to entire internship timeframe and ability and flexibility to work nights, holidays, and weekends
• Stipend paid twice per month, based on an average 40-hour workweek (which will include some nights, holidays, and weekends)
• Housing on-site
• Internships may be used for academic or vocational purposes, but interns are responsible for making the arrangements necessary to receive relevant credit as a result of completing the internship.
Intern housing is offered in the residential loft of TRC's Office Barn. This restored horse barn includes a furnished and spacious upstairs loft, as well as a meeting space, office area, kitchen and bathrooms on the first level. The loft space is private and the first floor facilities are shared. Interns are expected to purchase and prepare their own meals and are responsible for their own transportation while at TRC. With this housing opportunity comes responsibilities for onsite stewardship support and the ability to provide occasional after-hours care for birds.
EMPLOYMENT at TETON RAPTOR CENTER
Teton Raptor Center is an equal opportunity employer with a smoke-free and drug-free workplace. Successful applicants will be required to pass a background check, driving check and drug screening.
Applications will be accepted through October 24th, 2018. Final hiring decision will be made by October 31, 2018.
Please send your resume and a cover letter as a single PDF document explaining your interest in our work and an answer to this question: What do you expect to achieve as a result of this internship opportunity? Please send application materials to Teton Raptor Center via e-mail to email@example.com