Part-time Avian Care Technician
PART-TIME/SEASONAL (20 hours/week)
START DATE: May 1, 2021
Applications Due: April 22nd
Teton Raptor Center is a nonprofit organization of conservation biologists, veterinarians, wildlife rehabilitators, educators, and volunteers, working together to help birds of prey and promote environmental health through veterinary care and rehabilitation, educational programs, and conservation research. We are located at the historic Hardeman Ranch, a Jackson Hole Land Trust protected property in Wilson, Wyoming.
ESTIMATED TIME COMMITMENT:
May-September: 85% raptor care (9a-12p daily), 15% other responsibilities as assigned by supervising position
- Handle, evaluate, and weigh the resident raptors daily
- Clean enclosures daily including scooping, raking, scrubbing walls, and providing fresh water (seasonal)
- Prepare and deliver diets along with prescribed medications and supplements as directed
- Ensure all daily records for care (digital) are kept current
- Maintain buildings and enclosures as needed for resident raptor health
- Work with volunteers helping with resident raptor care (primarily during the care shift)
- Provide support for enrichment and avian training exercises as assigned by Outreach Coordinator
- Support the Outreach Coordinator with other tasks as assigned
- Comply with all state and federal wildlife regulations and TRC permits.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment when orchestrating raptor care, both alone and with volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
A successful Avian Care Tech. will possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Able to follow a checklist for safety and efficiency
- Strong communication skills
- Willingness to take initiative, roll up your sleeves, problem solve and multi-task effectively and with humor while working with a small group of very committed people
- Ability to excel at physical labor as well as time spent in front of a computer
- Good health and fitness, ability to perform physically demanding tasks such as cleaning and lifting (up to 40 lbs.) and work outdoors in all sorts of weather
- Dependable and able to work a regular schedule
- Working knowledge of Google platforms (sheets, docs, etc…), Canva, social media outlets, and website design
- Knowledge of science, natural history, and birds of prey (a strong interest in wildlife, enthusiasm, strong work ethic, maturity and willingness to learn are more important than academic qualifications)
- A love of nature and desire to share that passion with others
This is a part-time position $17/hour
EMPLOYMENT at TETON RAPTOR CENTER
Teton Raptor Center is an equal opportunity employer with a smoke-free and drug-free workplace. Successful applicants will be required to pass a background check, driving check, and drug screening.
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled.
Please send your resume, three professional references (including contact phone number and email), and a letter as a single PDF document explaining your interest in our work and an answer to this question: What makes you the best applicant for this position? Please send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "TRC Avian Care Technician"