This Golden Eagle was admitted to Teton Raptor Center due to lead poisoning. She had ingested meat from a carcass that was shot with lead ammunition and unfortunately the lead fragments from the bullet ended up in her body. Lead effects raptors very seriously and can completely debilitate them if they ingest even a small amount. Because this bird was very sick from heavy metal poisoning, she was struck by a vehicle along a highway in Dubois, WY. She was luckily found and rescued by Wyoming Game and Fish Department and brought to Teton Raptor Center the next morning where she was put on a rigorous treatment to remove the heavy metal toxins from her body.
Update: This bird went through 3 chelation therapy treatments and continues to improve. The most recent x-rays show that all of the lead pieces have left her system as her lead levels continue to drop significantly. She has moved to a large enclosure with tall perches, is self-feeding, and performs flight conditioning several days a week to build up her strength.
Date Admitted: 11-8-18
Location Found: Dubois, WY